IMO STATE, NIGERIA – Daily Sun reports that the militants were shot dead yesterday, September 6 by the JMTF which stormed the affected areas at the weekend.
The task force sneaked into the restive communities in a tipper, took the militants by surprise, killed five militants on the spot while others reportedly escaped with bullet injuries.
One of the leaders of the militant group identified as Banga who escaped, had his house razed allegedly by the security operatives.
The invasion may not be unconnected with the presidential directive to the military high command to flush out all militant groups in Niger Delta.
In recent times, the communities of Awara and Assa had been under the siege of both militants and cult groups, forcing people out of their homes.
Confirming the presence of security operatives in the communities,the state police command public relations officer, DSP Andrew Enwerem, said the force have always been sending security team to the communities to quell crisis.
Bothered by the activities of militants in Niger Delta and elsewhere, the President warned them to stop or face full military action.
Sources reveal that the military had to use helicopters to dislodge militants from Arepo in Ogun State and some other areas in Lagos state recently.
The militants went to the extent of kidnapping high profile members of the society including a monarch in Lagos.
Meanwhile, 21 suspected criminals involved in kidnapping, armed robbery and car snatching were yesterday paraded by the Abia state commissioner of police, Mr Leye Oyebade.
Also, two kidnap victims were rescued by the police team at Ugwunagbo Local Government Area.
Speaking while parading the hoodlums, Oyebade said the police, acting on a tip-off, stormed the hideout of the hoodlums and rescued the kidnap victims, who were held hostage under a canopy in an uncompleted building by one Kingsley Alozie.
He said the suspects and others now at large belong to notorious kidnapping gangs who have abducted a good number of innocent citizens in the state in recent times.
The commissioner told newsmen that the uncompleted building, used by the hoodlums has been destroyed.
He stated that the command has launched a manhunt for the suspects are at large, while those arrested will be prosecuted appropriately.
One of the victims, who narrated his ordeal to newsmen said he came to Aba to fix his car, but the hoodlums intercepted his car along Aba/Port- Harcourt Express-way and whisked him away along with his brother to an unknown destination.
“I came to Aba on Thursday to put my car in order, because I was involved in an accident last week.
After discussing with the panel beater who fixed the car, I decided to pass the night with my brother who resides at Aba, but as we were driving down to his house we were intercepted by some hoodlums at gun-point,” he said.