OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL
Friday, 9 September 2016
TOPIC: GODLINESS AND CONTENTMENT
Memorise: But godliness with contentment is great gain. – 1 Timothy 6:6
Read: 1 Timothy 6:6-10 (KJV)
1. Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
2. And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.
3. If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4. He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
5. Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
6. But godliness with contentment is great gain.
Bible in One Year: Jeremiah 32:1-33:13, Psalms 53-54
Godliness implies a kind of reverence for or devotion to God which produces a practical awareness of God in every aspect of life. True godliness is a way of life that permeates every aspect of life, from appearances to actions. A godly person cannot help but transmit and radiate godliness in a way that anybody who comes in contact with him or her will immediately feel the presence of God. Consequently, deceptive godliness in speech or action is not compatible with the Word of God. According to 2 Timothy 3:5, apparent godliness may not be genuine; the passage calls it “Having a form of godliness”. Meanwhile Titus 2:11-12 says:
“11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;”
From the above passage, it is clear that godliness can be interpreted as a measure of the level of sanctification of a child of God. The Bible in a few cases used the term “walking with God” to indicate the level of godliness of some fathers of faith. Examples of godliness in the Bible include Enoch in Genesis 5:24:
“And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.”
And Noah in Genesis 6:9:
“….Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.”
God demanded godliness from Abraham in Genesis 17:1
“…I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.”
And Abraham in turn confirmed compliance in Genesis 24:40 with the statement
“…The LORD, before whom I walk…”
Other examples of godliness include Simeon in Luke 2:25, Anna in Luke 2:37, and Cornelius in Acts 10:2. Therefore, godliness is mandatory as an evidence of knowing God and being known by Him.
According to 1 Timothy 6:6, godliness should be accompanied by contentment. The Bible teaches that sorrow for sin is a sign of godliness and godly living demands self-discipline. The benefits of godliness cannot be over emphasised, 1 Timothy 4:8 tells us that godliness is profitable unto all things, both in this life and in eternity. Today’s memory verse emphasises that godliness with contentment brings great gain. It is also a sure defence against covetousness and all manners of trials and temptations which is the main source of backsliding and apostasy in the Church of God today. May the Lord have mercy!
Prayer Point: Father, please give me the grace to live above covetousness and greed in Jesus’ name.
I started sleeping with men for cash at age 12 – Actress Kisa Gbekle
Actress Kisa Gbekle has opened up on her sex life as she has, in an interview, disclosed she broke her...
Rapper DMX checks back into rehab and cancels shows
Legendary American rapper, DMX , 48, has checked himself into rehab again. In a post on Instagram, a member of...
Toke Makinwa screams ‘I am not wearing pant’ as Timaya carries her up
A viral video which shows popular Nigerian media personality, Toke Makinwa being carried up by Timaya after ’20 years a...
Evokaycee features Zlatan in new song, ‘Nsogbu’ (Problem)
Evokaycee features Zlatan in new song, ‘Nsogbu’ (Problem) DANASTY INC talented singer & rapper, Evokaycee has released a new single...
- MFM Mountain Top Life Devotional 15 October 2019 – Stand Firm On God’s Truth October 15, 2019
- Kindred Hearts 17 October 2019 Update October 15, 2019
- Kindred Hearts 16 October 2019 Update October 15, 2019
- Mehek 19 October 2019 Update on Zee World October 15, 2019
- Cassie Ventura strips down in provocative Instagram pregnancy photoshoot October 15, 2019