The deputy commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said that Tehran has so far purposely limited the range of its missiles to 2,000 kilometres, but that it would increase the range if Europe turned into a threat, reports Al Jazeera
Earlier this month, French President Emmanuel Macron called for dialogue with Iran about its ballistic missile programme, separate from Tehran’s 2015 nuclear agreement with world powers.
Iran has repeatedly said its missile programme is for defensive purposes only and not negotiable.
“We tell the European countries that if we have confined the range of our missiles to 2,000 kilometres until today and have not increased it any further, it is not because of a lack of technology, because we have no limitations for the range of our missiles in technological terms,” Brigadier General Hossein Salami said in an interview with state TV on Saturday.
“So far we have felt that Europe is not a threat, so we did not increase the range of our missiles. But if Europe wants to turn into a threat, we will increase the range of our missiles,” state-run Fars news cited Salami as saying.