Connect with us

LATEST NEWS

South Korea: 10 cases of sexual misconduct reported at Winter Olympics

Published

on

South Korea - Winter Olympic

SOUTH KOREA – In a first for any Olympic Games, centers to address incidents of sexual misconduct were opened over the course of the 16-day sporting event as a way for athletes, volunteers, spectators and anyone else to come forward for help.

During the PyeongChang Winter Olympics, the four centers reported at least 10 cases — classified as “sexual harassment” — before Sunday’s closing ceremony, a director said.

Officials with the Gender Equality Support Centers, however, declined to comment on the types of people who reported the incidents and what generally occurred, citing confidentiality reasons, but said that none of the victims ultimately asked for police intervention.

The center’s counselors were able to notify appropriate supervisors about cases in which the actions of a person accused of misconduct might warrant their removal from a venue or dormitory, for instance.

Four of the 10 cases were reported to the support center located within the bustling Olympic Park in Gangneung, where the ice events have taken place and not far from the villages where some of the athletes and members of the workforce reside.

South Korea: 10 cases of sexual misconduct reported at Winter Olympics

“It’s not how many cases were reported, but that victims came forward and that a support system was made available to them,” one of the directors, Eun So Yoon, said through a translator.

The International Olympic Committee did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but previously told NBC News that it has “been active in the field of prevention of harassment and abuse in sport for many years, and has developed a number of initiatives.”

Those include the creation of a “safeguarding officer” at each games to review protecting athletes and others from harassment and abuse, and the release of educational materials and creation of a website.

he sexual assault centers were opened amid a heightened awareness of sexual misconduct by powerful men in various industries. Athletes in particular have garnered attention in recent months as the trial progressed against former gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, who is accused of molesting more than 260 women and girls, including Olympic champions, and began serving a 60-year federal sentence for possession of child pornography this month.

It’s unclear if the IOC plans to support the opening of sexual assault centers at future Olympic Games.

South Korea: 10 cases of sexual misconduct reported at Winter Olympics

Kwon Eun Jin, the head of women’s welfare in the Gangwon-do Provincial Office, said there were overall 21 cases of sexual assault or harassment reported throughout the region over the course of the Olympics — highlighting how such high-profile international events require more investment.

The centers will reopen when PyeongChang hosts the 2018 Winter Paralympics in March.

“The Olympics and the Paralympics have been set up for our joy,” Yoon added. “If we can help alleviate any of the gender violence, then it was worth them opening.

(NBC News)

(Visited 27 times, 1 visits today)

LATEST NEWS

Cultists threaten Governor Ben Ayade over detained members

Published

on

By

Cultists threaten Governor Ben Ayade over detained members

The Special Adviser on Administration to Cross River State Governor Ben Ayade, Mark Obi, has confirmed that a cult group in the state has been sending threat messages to the governor and other top officials in government.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Hafiz Inuwa Mohammed, said he also confirmed receiving a similar threat.

Other government and security dignitaries listed for assassination by the two cult groups included the 13 Brigade commander of Nigerian Army Calabar, the state Attorney General/ Commissioner for Justice, the Chief judge, the Chief Registrar, and Dr Frank Ayade, younger brother of the governor.Cultists threaten Governor Ben Ayade over detained members

The cultists were said to have asked those threatened to produce their members who were detained during the aftermath of the last bye-election in the Obudu State Constituency election.

One of the threat letters from the cult groups to the government read:

“Just watch out and see what is going to happen to you shortly. We have mobilized our boys and ammunitions for this assignment. And you have no where to hide. It is just a matter of time”

President of Clans Club International, Fred Obeten, who addressed journalists in Calabar yesterday, cautioned the Virkings and Skilo groups which, he said, issued the threats, against taking the laws into their hands.

(Visited 2 times, 2 visits today)
Continue Reading

LATEST NEWS

Flood submerges five communities, rice mill in Benue State

Published

on

By

Flood submerges five communities, rice mill in Benue State

Flood submerges five communities, rice mill in Benue State

The Executive Secretary, Benue State Emergency Management Agency(BSEMA), Emmanuel Shior said on Wednesday that the rampaging flood has submerged five communities in Agatu and other parts of Makurdi, the state capital.

Shior disclosed this while briefing newsmen in Makurdi on the current flood situation in the state, adding that Rice Mill and other settlements on the banks of River Benue were also affected. He said that the state government had taken proactive measures, including setting up a committee to sensitise the people of the state on the dangers ahead.

He said that the committee consists of officials drawn from SEMA, Ministry of Water Resources, Ministry of Information and other stakeholders in the state. Shior said that SEMA, in conjunction with NEMA and other stakeholders, had embarked on an awareness campaign in the media, churches and Mosques. He said that the campaign was intended to encourage residents of flood prone areas to relocate to safer areas.

The BSEMA boss said that the latest check with a guage showed that the water level at the River Benue had risen to 11 metres, barely one meter to its maximum level. According to him, the water has virtually reached the level that caused flooding in 2012, during which most parts of the state were submerged. He advised residents to steer clear from the river because of the high level, saying that 12 metres was the highest level that could cause disaster in any state.

He said that centres in the state, including the International Market, had been prepared to accommodate displaced persons. In his remark, Mr Lugard Slaku , the Zonal Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) for North Central, said that 12 states, including Benue, had been listed as most threatened by flood in the country.

“So we have come with a team trained by NEMA to collaborate with SEMA to assess the situation, check the available facilities and gaps and report back to the head office for additional resources, where needed.” Slaku said.

Slaku said that while NEMA, SEMA and other stakeholders were working hard to ensure prompt response to distres calls, the people must cooperate with government to prevent avoidable disaster.

(Visited 6 times, 6 visits today)
Continue Reading

LATEST NEWS

Video of dancing senator, Ademola Adeleke, dishing hot steps at PDP rally in Osun state

Published

on

By

Video of dancing senator, Ademola Adeleke, dishing hot steps at PDP rally in Osun state

Video of dancing senator, Ademola Adeleke, dishing hot steps at PDP rally in Osun state

Senator Adeleke doing what he loves best..

Watch the video below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by LIB – Linda Ikeji Blog (@lindaikejiblog) on

(Visited 17 times, 17 visits today)
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2016 Premium News24

%d bloggers like this: