Former Arsenal midfielder, Paul Merson has warned the club not to replace manager, Arsene Wenger with his Newcastle counterpart, Rafa Benitez.
Benitez masterminded a 2-1 win over the Gunners on Sunday, to all but confirm their Premier League status for next season.
By contrast Arsenal’s latest defeat on the road, which leaves them a distant sixth in the table, has led to calls from supporters for Wenger to depart in the summer and to replace him with Benitez.
Merson, however, believes the Spaniard would be the wrong choice.
“I like Benitez – he is one of the top managers.
“I just think Arsenal [fans] want to see entertaining football, and I know this might sound a bit silly, but they want to see teams who go out to win football matches.
“Benitez sort of sets his teams up – even at Liverpool – not to get beaten, and you go from there.
“Arsenal fans are staying away at the moment because it’s not entertaining enough, and I think they will need someone with a little bit more flair.
“They need someone with longevity – someone who will get a four or five-year contract and stay there – because you don’t want a Manchester United situation, where they change the manager many times quickly after Sir Alex Ferguson,” Merson told talkSPORT.
- Groups list what Ihedioha must do to Gov. Okorocha March 25, 2019
- Nina fires shot on Instagram after Alex and Tobi sex scandal March 25, 2019
- Our Daily Bread 25 March 2019 – The Spirit of Fika March 25, 2019
- DCLM Daily Manna 25th March 2019 – A Balanced Diet March 25, 2019
- 25th March 2019 Seeds of Destiny – Discerning the Voice of God March 25, 2019