Congo’s health minister says Ebola has spread to more cities including the capital of Equateur province, a worrying shift in the new outbreak in the northwest.
Health Minister Oly Ilunga said two suspected cases of hemorrhagic fever were reported in the Wangata health zones, which includes Mbandaka city, about 150 kilometers (93 miles) from Bikoro, the rural area where the outbreak began.
He said one sample proved positive for the deadly Ebola virus, bringing to three the number of confirmed Ebola cases in three health zones. Ilunga said Congo now is entering an urban phase of the outbreak, with higher spread potential.
He said epidemiologists are working to identify additional contacts to the 500 already identified. Congo has reported 23 deaths among the 42 suspected, probable and confirmed cases.
- Mehek 19 April 2019 Update – Zee World Series April 19, 2019
- Fayose’s Easter message to Nigerians April 19, 2019
- Black snakes chase President out of office April 19, 2019
- Regina Daniels shows off engagement ring in a private jet April 19, 2019
- Schoolgirl burned to death on head teacher’s order April 19, 2019