Jose Mourinho’s mind games fell flat as Manchester United were hammered 4-1 by Liverpool in their International Champions Cup clash late Saturday.
Swiss star Xherdan Shaqiri marked his first appearance for Liverpool with a stunning overhead kick and also set up Daniel Sturridge for a cool finish, while penalties from Sadio Mané and Sheyi Ojo added to Mourinho’s problems ahead of the 2018/19 campaign.
Reigning PFA Player of the Year Mohamed Salah and Mané started for the first time together this pre-season, and the Reds were the sharper and more dangerous side throughout as the Egypt and Senegal internationals showed an understanding that United struggled to match.
Klopp’s team created three decent openings before taking the lead. Dominic Solanke saw a back-heel flick blocked at the front post and Lee Grant, the United goalkeeper, twice saved from Salah headers.
Jurgen Klopp’s men soon edged ahead when Salah, oozing confidence, was felled inside the area by a clumsy challenge from Demetri Mitchell, allowing Mané to fire the resulting penalty low and hard beyond Grant’s right hand.
The Red Devils levelled in style only three minutes after the heat break when Andreas Pereira, enjoying a strong, disciplined game in the centre of United’s midfield, capped his display with a superb free-kick swept into the top corner from 25 yards.
- Reality star Erica Mena’s ex-boyfriend Cliff Dixon shot & killed in Atlanta March 21, 2019
- Latasha Ngwube shares video from a ‘waxing’ session of her private part March 21, 2019
- Porsha Williams flaunts her baby bump in stunning bikini photos March 21, 2019
- Singer Amara La Negra shows off her backside in snakeskin bodysuit (Photos) March 21, 2019
- Doctor sedates, rapes, married patient in Sokoto March 21, 2019