Eight police officers were arrested last Friday in connection with the October 2017 torture and murder of a Nigerian student in Vanderbijlpark, Gauteng, South Africa’s police watchdog said.
In a statement, the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) said the six male and two female officers are accused of interrogating and suffocating 25-year-old Olamilekan Badmus last year.
“There was a huge outcry from the Nigerian community when the death was discovered. At the time, the police also alleged that they were attacked by ‘drug dealers’.”
A post-mortem, conducted by two pathologists, confirmed Badmus had been tortured, the statement said.
The watchdog added its investigation resulted in “hostility” from members of the SA Police Service.
The suspects will appear in the Vanderbijlpark Magistrate’s Court on Monday after the Director for Public Prosecutions gave the go-ahead for the eight officers to be charged with torture and murder.
- Cossy Orjiakor flaunts her assets to celebrate Valentine’s Day (Photos) February 16, 2019
- Lady Gaga gets new tattoo down the length of her spine February 16, 2019
- Swimsuit model Michelle Chisara Okoro goes completely pantless (Photo) February 16, 2019
- TREM Daily Devotional 16 February 2019 – The Next Move Is Yours February 16, 2019
- 2019 Election: EFCC boss, Ibrahim Magu warns banks against suspicious transactions February 16, 2019