Former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Emeka Ihedioha, has emerged winner of the Peoples Democratic Party governorship primary in Imo.
Ihedioha won the contest with a total of 1,723 votes to defeat the Senator representing Imo East senatorial zone, Mr Samuel Anyanwu, who came 2nd with a total of 1,282 votes.
Announcing the results, the returning officer, Mr Emma Nwala, expressed gratitude to all stakeholders who contributed in various ways to the success of the electoral process.
“I am most grateful to all security personnel for their commitment to the security of lives and materials all through the night and till this morning.
“Also, I thank all aspirants, delegates and officials for conducting themselves properly.
“With the power vested in me as returning officer, I hereby declare Emeka Ihedioha the winner and flag bearer of the PDP in Imo for the 2019 governorship election,” Nwala he said.
The exercise which was originally scheduled to hold on Tuesday, October 2 started at 4 pm on Monday and ended at 4.30 am on Tuesday at the Kanu Nwankwo Sports Centre, Owerri.
The exercise which was largely peaceful, hitch-free and transparent had over 3,000 delegates drawn from the 27 local government areas in the state.
- Mehek 19 April 2019 Update – Zee World Series April 19, 2019
- Fayose’s Easter message to Nigerians April 19, 2019
- Black snakes chase President out of office April 19, 2019
- Regina Daniels shows off engagement ring in a private jet April 19, 2019
- Schoolgirl burned to death on head teacher’s order April 19, 2019