According to the World Health Organization, diarrhoea related diseases are the second leading cause of death in children under five years old,and are responsible for killing around 525,000 children every year globally.
Now this is scary, as diarrheal related diseases are typically contracted through poor hygiene, sanitation, unsafe water sources, or contaminated food. Although, it’s almost impossible to live without contacting germs, staying relatively germ-free is easier than you may think.
So, as we approach Global Handwashing Day on October 15th, we are sharing 5 ways you can contact germs and how to keep yourself far from diarrhea related diseases.
- Wipe Your Keyboards: Computer keyboards are germ collection machines. If you look very closely at your keyboard, you can see dirt particles, don’t lie. Now imagine looking at all that through a microscope. Yup! A sanitary wipe down every day will be a smart move.
- Clean Your Dirty Phone: The mobile phone is the dirtiest thing you own. Some have argued that the phone is dirtier than a toilet seat, because of the amount of germs it accumulates being placed on dirty surfaces and being passed from hand to hand all day. And to think it’s that same phone you put in your mouth when you need to use the torch light.
- Clean Your Handbags and Briefcases: The handbag is another germ accumulating item. Think of how we are quick to drop them on floors and random public areas. It’s this same bag you dump on the kitchen counter after a long day at work.
- Watch out for the Office Kitchen: A Time Magazine report declared the office kitchen as the dirtiest place in the building, simply because it harbors germs in places that are often overlooked by cleaners, like the microwave and refrigerator handles. So unless you want to have a mouthful of germs, you might want to wash your hands before eating lunch.
- Wash Your Hands Regularly: Your hands and Dettol soap should be best friends morning, noon and night. Think about it. We touch germ-full things all day. Medical journals advise that we should sanitize or wash our hands with antibacterial soap at least 5 times daily. And that’s the whole point of Global Handwashing Day.
Cyber fraud: Naira Marley to resume trial today
Nigerian hip hop artist Azeez Fashola, a.k.a. Naira Marley is due to be back at the Federal High Court in...
Man who hit Bobrisky’s new Range Rover spends night in jail (Video)
Yesterday, a video emerged on social media which shows cross dresser, Bobrisky being assaulted by a man who had allegedly...
Man hits Bobrisky’s car, beats him up along Jakande expressway (Video)
A video which just surfaced the internet has captured the moment an unidentified young man rained heavy blows on popular...
Secrets of how women can keep their husbands at home by Actress Uche Elendu
Secrets of how women can keep their husbands at home by Actress Uche Elendu Although not married at the moment,...
- Open Heaven 23 October 2019 – Praise Him October 23, 2019
- Fire and Ice 22 October 2019 Update October 22, 2019
- Queen Freda Fred, Miss Niger Delta Diaspora 2019 bags L.L.B. (Hons) October 22, 2019
- Kindred Hearts 24 October 2019 Update October 22, 2019
- Kindred Hearts 23 October 2019 Update October 22, 2019