Sinead O’Connor has converted to Islam from Catholicism and changed her name to Shuhada which means “martyrs” in Arabic.
Sharing a picture of herself wearing a hijab, the mother-of-four, who has struggled with her mental health, wrote:
This is to announce that I am proud to have become a Muslim.
This is the natural conclusion of any intelligent theologian’s journey.
All scripture study leads to Islam. Which makes all other scriptures redundant.
I will be given (another) new name. It will be Shuhada.
Here is my attempt at singing the Azan [sic]. I got some pronouncition [sic] wrong because emotions took me from my page…but there’ll be hundreds of others onstage to come.
O’Connor last changed her name in 2017 to Magda Davitt, saying in an interview that she wished to be “free of parental curses”.
In the 1990s, she shocked members of the Roman Catholic Church where women can’t be priests as she was ordained a priest by the Irish Orthodox and Apostolic Church.
- Women take to the streets to protest the renewed political violence in Kogi February 16, 2019
- Buhari departs Katsina, arrives Abuja following election postponement (photos) February 16, 2019
- Breaking: Boko Haram attacks Maiduguri mosque, kills 11 February 16, 2019
- Actress Regina Daniels displays cleavage in braless photos February 16, 2019
- Regina Daniels shows off her new whip, a Mercedes-Benz ML350 (Photos) February 16, 2019