Rapper Kanye West donated $150,000 to a memorial fundraising site for a security guard shot by an officer near his hometown Chicago.
West gave through the GoFundMe page made to raise money for the funeral of Jemel Roberson, 26, far exceeding the goal. Bart Jackson, a representative for GoFundMe, confirmed the contribution.
“Sadly, Jemel’s life was tragically and unexpectedly cut short this morning as he tried to save others from senseless violence,” the page creator wrote on behalf of Roberson’s mother.
Roberson was shot by an officer from Midlothian, Illinois while detaining a gunman outside of Manny’s Blue Room Lounge in Robbins, where he worked, according to a federal lawsuit. Witnesses said the alleged gunman returned to the bar after security asked him and several drunken men to leave, CNN affiliate WGN reported.
The responding officer fatally shot Roberson in his side, after giving him “multiple verbal commands to drop the gun and get on the ground,” according to a statement filed by Illinois State Police, citing witnesses.
Roberson’s mother, Beatrice Roberson, sued for more than $1 million, listing the unnamed responding officer and the village of Midlothian as defendants.
- Zee World: Saturday 23 Update on This is Fate March 22, 2019
- Zee World: Saturday 23 March Update on Twist Of Fate March 22, 2019
- Zee World: Saturday 23 March Update on Gangaa March 22, 2019
- Teacher filmed physically assaulting one of his female students in Lagos (video) March 22, 2019
- Two Nigerian women fight dirty in Italy (video) March 22, 2019