The Nigerian Army has denied media reports that it abandoned the corpse of soldiers killed by Boko Haram members in Metele, Borno state on November 18th.
In a statement released on its website, the Army said reports by Sahara Reporters that the bodies of its officials have not been evacuated from the scene of the attack is false. Read the statement below
The attention of the Nigerian Army (NA) has once again been drawn to another false publication by an online newspaper (Sahara Reporters), alleging that the bodies of our gallant soldiers and members of Civilian Joint Task Force who lost their lives in the unfortunate Metele Attack are yet to be evacuated.
The general public is to please note that the information is despicably false and a calculated attempt to spread fake news aimed at discrediting and undermining the NA in the discharge of its constitutional roles. For the avoidance of doubt, immediately after the attack, reinforcement was sent to the location. Thereafter, a special search and rescue team led by a senior military officer was constituted and equally despatched. The team worked tirelessly, searching all the nooks and crannies of the general area and have evacuated all the gallant troops that paid the supreme price in defence of their fatherland.
3. It is sad to note that in a bid to be seen as first to break news, some media houses have discarded the ethics of their noble profession through the hasty publication of unverified information. The NA would once again reiterate the need for correct and balanced reportage especially when reporting issues regarding military operations. Furthermore, all print and electronic (online) newspapers as well as social media forums and blogs are advised to double check their information before publishing. This is because publishing false, sensational news is inimical to national security and could also cause panic, bitterness and disunity among the citizenry.
4. You are please requested to note this and disseminate same using your various media channels. Thank you.
English actress Sheila Betty Mercier, dies aged 100
English actress Sheila Mercier has died at the age of 100. The Emmerdale legend, known to millions as Annie Sugden,...
Blessing CEO alleged Tacha sent hired assassins to kill her (Video)
Relationship blogger, Blessing Okoro aka Blessing CEO has alleged that Instagram sensation and reality star, Tacha is after her life....
Blessing Okoro mocks Tacha, says she’s an orphan
It seems the fight between relationship blogger, Blessing Okoro and reality star Natacha Akide is not stopping anytime soon as...
Miss Myanmar comes out as a lesbian following her participation at the 2019 Miss Universe contestant
Miss Myanmar, Swe Zin Htet has come out as a gay woman following her competition at the 2019 Miss Universe....
- Jürgen Klopp agrees to new Liverpool FC contract until 2024 December 14, 2019
- English actress Sheila Betty Mercier, dies aged 100 December 14, 2019
- MFM Mountain Top Life Devotional 14 December 2019 – Be Ye Holy December 14, 2019
- Biafra is not Nigeria, IPOB tells Nigeria Army December 14, 2019
- Joel Osteen Devotional 14 December 2019 – He Orchestrates Your Life December 14, 2019