A man has been jailed after trying to assassinate Donald Trump by flipping over the presidential limousine with a stolen forklift truck.
Gregory Lee Leingang, 42, stole the forklift truck and entered the president’s motorcade route as he passed through his city.
Donald Trump was visiting Mandan, North Dakota, in September 2017 to give a speech on tax reform.
Before his arrival at around 2pm, Leingang took the forklift and headed for the presidential route.
“The intent was to try to get to the limo, flip the limo and get to the president — he wanted to kill the president,” she said.
Leingang tried to escape after the forklift got stuck in a gated area, and was caught by local police, where he allegedly confessed his plan to authorities, including the US Secret Service.
A public defender argued in court Leingang was “suffering a serious psychiatric crisis during this incident”, and reportedly started two fires earlier on the same day he stole the forklift.
Leingang entered a plea deal with federal prosecutors and was sentenced to five years behind bars for stealing the forklift.
He is also serving time for pleading guilty to starting the fires and for a burglary case and is expected to stay in prison for decades.
His sentencing hearing is scheduled for February 15 next year.
Trump’s super-armoured limousine — nicknamed “The Beast” — is fitted with tear gas cannons to disperse angry crowds.
The Beast made its debut at the president’s inauguration in 2017.
Its Kevlar reinforced wheels are puncture and shard-resistant.
Even if the tyres are destroyed, the 20cm thick armour on the steel rims means the car can continue to plough on.
- Rhapsody of Realities 22 February 2019 – Endless Prosperity February 21, 2019
- Open Heaven 22 February 2019 – The Blessedness of being Forgiven February 21, 2019
- DCLM Daily Manna 22 February 2019 – Futility Of Worldly Wisdom February 21, 2019
- Our Daily Bread 22 February 2019 Devotional – He Holds Our Hand February 21, 2019
- Billy Graham Devotional 22 February 2019 – The Enemy Deceives Us Scripture February 21, 2019