A Chinese court on Monday sentenced a Canadian man to death for drug smuggling after prosecutors said an original 15-year sentence announced in November was too lenient.
“Dalian Intermediate People’s Court in the northeast province of Liaoning retried Robert Lloyd Schellenberg and handed down the death penalty,’’ the court said in a brief statement on its website.
The case is likely again to test relations between Beijing and Ottawa, which has been tensed since Canada’s arrest of a Chinese executive at the request of the U.S. in December. The arrest was followed by China’s detention of two Canadian citizens on suspicion of endangering state security.
- Breaking: PDP campaign spokesman abducted February 23, 2019
- TREM Daily Devotional 23 February 2019 – You Are Blessed in Christ February 23, 2019
- DCLM Daily Manna 23 February 2019 – Just One Body February 23, 2019
- Seeds of Destiny 23 February 2019 – The Atmosphere of Worship – Dr. Paul Enenche February 23, 2019
- Our Daily Bread 23 February 2019 – Living in God’s Story February 23, 2019