A 25-year-old Nigerian man has committed suicide in Italy after after his request for a residency permit in the country was rejected.
The migrant identified as Prince Jerry committed suicide by jumping under a moving train in Tortona, Genoa, Italy.
The Biochemistry graduate arrived Italy, by sea, in 2016, after a long trip through the desert to Libya.
Monsignor Giacomo Martino, the head of association Migrants, said on Thursday that Jerry had requested for the permit on humanitarian grounds.
Martino, who is in charge of the association that helps migrants in the port-city, made the announcement in a chat group with his parishioners.
The message was subsequently shared on social media Wednesday night and published by local newspapers on Thursday.
Jerry’s funeral will be held Friday morning, at the Chiesa dell’Annunziata in Genoa.
Meanwhile some of Jerry’s friends have taken to Facebook to mourn him.
- Khloe Kardashian steps out for the first time amid Tristan Thompson cheating February 21, 2019
- 13-year-old old girl impregnated by father, puts to bed in Edo State February 21, 2019
- Naked photo of Former Miss Common Wealth Nigeria is shared to Instagram February 21, 2019
- Video of Nigerian soldiers in the war front worshiping God February 21, 2019
- Ruthless comment is sign of Buhari’s frustration – ADP presidential candidate February 21, 2019