Transfer News: Italian striker Mario Balotelli completed a free transfer to Marseille on Thursday, joining after being released from his contract by fellow Ligue 1 outfit Nice.
The 28-year-old ends his two and a half year spell with Les Aiglons by moving to the Orange Velodrome, despite having failed to find the back of the net in ten league appearances this season.
Balotelli joins Marseille on a six-month deal until the end of the current campaign and is expected to earn around £2.7m ($3m) in wages during that short spell.
The enigmatic centre forward scored 42 goals in 64 appearances in total at Nice, but he has found himself in and out of the starting XI this term after a run of poor performances.
He could make his debut for Marseille this coming Friday, as the French giants host Lille in a huge Ligue 1 clash, with nine points separating the two sides in the table.
Speaking at the official press conference after his switch was announced this afternoon, Balotelli aimed to temper expectations from his new fanbase, stating that his main focus is to simply help the team.
“I know that the fans are expecting a lot from me,” he began. I have to train, that’s what I miss, but I feel good, I’m in good shape.”
“Marseille has a passionate fanbase, all players see it, it’s something we don’t forget, I had deliberately published my message to the OM supporters because I was hoping to come here ”
“Scoring goals is not a question of life or death, it is not the priority, I will not die if I do not score quickly”
“My goal is to score as many goals as possible, but the most important thing is the team.”
— Olympique de Marseille (@OM_Officiel) January 23, 2019
- Khloe Kardashian steps out for the first time amid Tristan Thompson cheating February 21, 2019
- 13-year-old old girl impregnated by father, puts to bed in Edo State February 21, 2019
- Naked photo of Former Miss Common Wealth Nigeria is shared to Instagram February 21, 2019
- Video of Nigerian soldiers in the war front worshiping God February 21, 2019
- Ruthless comment is sign of Buhari’s frustration – ADP presidential candidate February 21, 2019