The acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, on Monday said at least N1.3 trillion was stolen between 2011 and 2015.
EFCC boss said the money stolen under President Goodluck Jonathan administration was by 32 entities, including private individuals and organisations.
He said this during his keynote address at the 2019 first batch conversion graining programme to procurement cadre for federal parastatal and agencies organised by the Bureau of Public Procurement in Lagos on Monday.
In the address delivered by Ola Olukoyede, EFCC secretary, Magu lamented what the stolen funds could have been used to achieve in Nigeria.
Magu said: “N1.3 trillion was stolen between 2011 and 2015.the money stolen under President Goodluck Jonathan adminstration was by 32 entities, including private individuals and organisations.
“One third of this money, using world bank rates and cost, could have comfortably been used to construct well over 500km of roads; build close to 200 schools; educate about 4000 children from primary to tertiary levels at N25million per child; build 20,000 units of two-bedroom houses across the country and do even more.
“The cost of this grand theft, therefore, is that these roads, schools and houses will never be built and these children will never have access to quality education because a few rapacious individuals had cornered for themselves what would have helped secure the lives of the future generations, thereby depriving them of quality education and healthcare, among others.
“poor state of procurement process in Nigeria was one of the major reasons why corruption has continued to thrive in government agencies and parastatals.
“I sincerely hope that at the end of this training, we will see a few cases of financial propriety in our procurement processes in government agencies and parastatal.
“Indeed, corruption could kill Nigeria, if we do not scale up our proficiency in contract and procurement management process.”
- Biden attacks Trump for invoking George Floyd June 6, 2020
- Trump invokes George Floyd’s name while taking economic victory lap June 6, 2020
- Rhapsody of Realities 6th June 2020 – He Has Quenched Your Thirst June 6, 2020
- Seeds of Destiny 6th June 2020 – Connecting The Nature of God Through Prayer June 6, 2020
- Our Daily Bread Saturday 6th June 2020 – Found on the Edges June 5, 2020
- Age is Just a Number Full Story, Plot, Cast
- Twist of Fate 6th June 2020 Update
- Twist of Fate 5th June 2020 Update
- Age is Just a Number 5th June 2020 Update
- Winners’ Chapel 5th June 2020 Covenant Hour of Prayer
- Our Daily Bread 5th June 2020 Devotional - Useful Temptation
- Family Affairs Full Story, Plot Summary, Casts, Teasers - StarLife
- Gangaa 5th June 2020 Update
- This is Fate 6th June 2020 Update
- Age is Just a Number 4th June 2020 Update
- ZEE WORLD UPDATES1 day ago
Twist of Fate 5th June 2020 Update
- LIVE STREAMING4 days ago
Holy Mass and Eucharistic Adoration 1 June 2020 Divine Retreat Centre Ramsgate, UK
- ZEE WORLD UPDATES1 day ago
Age is Just a Number 5th June 2020 Update
- ZEE WORLD UPDATES6 hours ago
Twist of Fate 6th June 2020 Update
- FEATURED NEWS4 days ago
Live Event with NASA Astronauts in Space
- FEATURED NEWS1 day ago
Watch George Floyd’s memorial service held in Minneapolis
- DAILY DEVOTIONAL & SERMON4 days ago
Joel Osteen Devotional 2nd June 2020 Tuesday – Don’t Let Bitter Seeds Take Root
- FEATURED NEWS5 days ago
Breaking: Oshiomhole, Secondus and others hold meeting with INEC ahead of Edo, Ondo poll