Lionel Messi has returned to the Argentina squad for the first time since the 2018 world cup. The Barcelona star has not played for the national team since they were defeated by France who eventually won the competition.
Messi got named in a 31-man squad to play friendlies against Venezuela and Morocco this month.
Another player joining Messi in returning to the team is Par St-Germain midfielder Angel di Maria, 31.
Four Premier League players made manager Lionel Scaloni’s squad – Manchester City centre-back Nicolas Otamendi, Tottenham defender Juan Foyth, Watford midfielder Roberto Pereyra and West Ham playmaker Manuel Lanzini.
Dropped from the squad are Spurs winger Erik Lamela and goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga.
Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi also got dropped and has not played since 9 February because of an ongoing dispute with the Serie A club.
Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero and Chelsea’s Gonzalo Higuain who last played for the team at the 2018 world cup also remain absent.
- Plateau Supplementary: Live results, updates March 23, 2019
- Nigeria now more divided than during civil war – Obasanjo March 23, 2019
- BBNaija Reunion: Alex bursts into tears and walks out after Cee-C revealed to the World that she had sex with Tobi in SA after the show (Videos) March 23, 2019
- Seeds of Destiny 23 March 2019 – How To Pray and Study God’s Word March 23, 2019
- BBNaija Reunion: Don’t bring my friends and I into your reunion lies and propaganda’ – Miracle fires Nina March 23, 2019