woman found in East London freezer

UK police have identified 34-year old Hungarian national, Henriett Szucs as the second woman whose body was found in a freezer in a flat in east London last month.

Officers broke the news to the family of the woman, who is believed to have last been heard from in the summer of 2016, over the weekend. Late Ms Szucs moved to the UK from Miskolc in Hungary in September 2014, but lost all her money and her passport after being robbed in north London.

After the attack, she moved in with her boyfriend, but when that relationship ended, she found herself homeless. She spoke to a reporter visiting The Welcome Centre, a charity helping the homeless which is run by Healthy Living Projects, about her experiences in March 2015.

Last Friday, mother-of-three Mihrican Mustafa, 38, also known as MJ, was confirmed as the first victim. She had been missing since last May.

Prosecuting, Jessica Gill said electricity at the property had failed and the freezer had therefore started to defrost. Officers subsequently found two partially decomposed female bodies in a chest freezer. A 50-year-old man arrested nearby on suspicion of murder has however been released under investigation.

At a press conference last week, Detective Chief Inspector Simon Harding said the crime scene is ‘one of the most challenging and complex’ he has seen in 28 years. He told reporters:

‘It’s such an unusual scene. I haven’t really seen something like this where the nature of the two bodies being frozen as they are. They are clothed, which I can say, and that’s also causing a complexity to it as we wait to start a post-mortem.’

Harding said there were no signs of any injuries on the women who had been fused together in the freezer.

‘Now we know Henriett’s identity, we would appeal for anyone with information about her and in particular her association with the address in Vandome Close where she was found to come forward. We understand she was last heard from in the summer of 2016 when she spoke to somebody she knew in Hungary on the phone; we need to establish if that was the last known contact with Henriett and I would ask anyone who heard from her after that time to contact my team.

‘We also continue to also ask for help to piece together the last movements of MJ’s life. We need to build up a full picture of both of these women’s lives, whether they knew each other, who they associated with and what they were doing in and around Vandome Close and the Canning Town area. The way in which they died is truly shocking and our heart goes out to these women’s friends and families.’

Before Ms Mustafa, who lived in Canning Town, was officially identified, her older sister Mel Mustafa, 47, said: ‘I wish the police would have listened to us earlier.