DCLM Daily Manna 14 October 2019 Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi – Don’t Focus On The Wrong Side!
TOPIC: Don’t Focus On The Wrong Side!
TEXT: Numbers 13:17-33
17. And Moses sent them to spy out the land of Canaan, and said unto them, Get you up this way southward, and go up into the mountain;
18. And see the land, what it is; and the people that dwelleth therein, whether they be strong or weak, few or many;
19. And what the land is that they dwell in, whether it be good or bad; and what cities they be that they dwell in, whether in tents, or in strong holds;
20. And what the land is, whether it be fat or lean, whether there be wood therein, or not. And be ye of good courage, and bring of the fruit of the land. Now the time was the time of the firstripe grapes.
21. So they went up, and searched the land from the wilderness of Zin unto Rehob, as men come to Hamath.
22. And they ascended by the south, and came unto Hebron; where Ahiman, Sheshai, and Talmai, the children of Anak, were. (Now Hebron was built seven years before Zoan in Egypt.)
23. And they came unto the brook of Eshcol, and cut down from thence a branch with one cluster of grapes, and they bare it between two upon a staff; and they brought of the pomegranates, and of the figs.
24. The place was called the brook Eshcol, because of the cluster of grapes which the children of Israel cut down from thence.
25. And they returned from searching of the land after forty days.
26. And they went and came to Moses, and to Aaron, and to all the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the wilderness of Paran, to Kadesh; and brought back word unto them, and unto all the congregation, and shewed them the fruit of the land.
27. And they told him, and said, We came unto the land whither thou sentest us, and surely it floweth with milk and honey; and this is the fruit of it.
28. Nevertheless the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great; and moreover we saw the children of Anak there.
29. The Amalekites dwell in the land of the south; and the Hittites, and the Jebusites, and the Amorites, dwell in the mountains; and the Canaanites dwell by the sea, and by the coast of Jordan.
30. And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it.
31. But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we.
DCLM Daily Manna 14 October 2019 – Don’t Focus On The Wrong Side!
32. And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature.
33. And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants; and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.
“And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight” – (Numbers 13:33).
TODAY’S MESSAGE: What we choose to focus our attention on in life often determines what we see; and what we see, in turn, influences our attitude and ultimately, affects what we get – success or failure. This is why people who know the importance of having the right attitude in life always teach that people focus on the right things no matter the situation.
The spies that Moses sent to check out the situation of things in the Promised Land brought back a report to confirm that the land was just as God has promised. However, instead of focusing on this positive and promising side, they chose to focus on the negative – the giants in the land. As they paid attention on this, their minds became defeated and their resolve weakened. What they saw affected their faith, confession and action. They became defeated in themselves. Not even the positive encouraging words of Caleb and Joshua could change them.
We need to be careful of the things we allow our minds to stay on. Our faith can be killed and our lives defeated completely if we focus on the wrong things. Remember that as Christians, we have been called to walk and live by faith and not by sight. We should always try to see beyond the negative circumstances that may surround us. However bad and intimidating a situation may be, God will always make a way out for us when we trust Him.
To maintain the right focus, you must mind the company that you keep; avoid the company of doubters, complainers and murmurers because they will infect you with their negative bug. Join company with the Joshuas and Calebs of today and no giant will make you feel like a grasshopper!
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: What you see is what you get.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Isaiah 34–37
DCLM Daily Manna 14 October 2019 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.