DCLM Daily Manna 18 October 2019 Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi – The Fruit Test
TOPIC: The Fruit Test
TEXT: Matthew 7:13-20
13. Enter ye in at the strait gate; for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat;
14. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15. Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17. Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
DCLM Daily Manna 18 October 2019 – The Fruit Test
“Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them” – (Matthew 7:20).
Paul Eldridge, an American writer, was on point when he observed that “we cannot make a tiger eat grass by removing his teeth or turn a lamb into a bull by tying horns onto his head”. The world has become more gullible because deceivers and hypocrites have become more sophisticated in their acts. In no aspect of life is this more evident than in religious life. This calls for more discernment and one sure way of identifying what is what and who is who is to apply the fruit test.
In the concluding part of his epic Sermon on the Mount, Christ urged everyone to strive to enter God’s kingdom through the narrow way wherein are found very few people. The alternative broad way leads to eternal destruction. That is where majority of the human race walks. Beyond this admonition, He warns of false prophets which appear in sheep’s clothing. It is in this connection that He talked about the fruit test. In a world where false prophets endeavour to look even more innocent and benevolent than true prophets, how can you detect them?
We can apply the fruit test to all individuals or institutions. There are so many innocent-looking but deceitful “prophets” and religious bodies whose conducts and doctrines are capable of keeping people comfortable in the hell-bound broad way of this life. Consider their character and the end point of their ministry. Do not patronise them in any way. They are dangerous and cannot give what they do not have.
At a personal level, be sure of your spiritual status. The unregenerate life cannot produce good fruit. Good fruit is what matters here and hereafter. You need the transformative work of the Holy Spirit and abiding completely in Christ for this.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
How do you fare in the fruit test?
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 18 October 2019 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.