Open Heaven 15 October 2019 Devotional By Pastor E.A Adeboye – He Does The Cutting Off!
TOPIC: He Does The Cutting Off!
“Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.” – (John 15:2)
READ: John 13:21-33 (KJV)
21. When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
22. Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.
23. Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
24. Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
25. He then lying on Jesus’ breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?
26. Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.
27. And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.
28. Now no man at the table knew for what intent he spake this unto him.
29. For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.
30. He then having received the sop went immediately out; and it was night.
31. Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.
32. If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.
33. Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me; and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.
Open Heaven 15 October 2019 – He Does The Cutting Off!
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 2 Chronicle 7-8, Revelation 9:20-10:11
The words of today’s memory verse should be sobering for every sincere child of God. In it, we are told that the Father Himself does the cutting off of unfruitful branches from the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the true vine! In other words, it is a mistake to think that the devil is responsible for cutting people off from the body of Christ. It is important to know that this branches being cut off are already in Jesus Christ, meaning they are believers and part of Him. As part of the church, they are right there within the Master’s sanctuary, causing havoc within the household of God and occupying positions without doing anything with them, apart from preventing others who want to serve the Lord from doing so.
It is terrifying to know that right from the time the Lord was here on earth, betrayers have already been found among those close to Him. This might be the reason why the Father cut many of them off before their time. My father in the Lord the founder of Redeem Christian church of God, cut of some people from the fold before he finally left to be with the Lord. Some of us did not know why he was doing what he did back then, but people like me now know better. Jesus Christ tolerated Judas Iscariot for three and half years, giving him ample opportunity and time to repent of his stealing habit that will eventually lead him to betray his Master for money. However, very close to that time appointed for Him to go to the cross, Jesus realized that Judas Ischariot has chosen to fulfill the prophesy of Psalm 41:9, which says;
“Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.”
It was at this point that Jesus detached Judas Iscariot from Himself as the True Vine. Describing what happened after that, John 13:27 says:
“And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.”
What can be more terrible than Satan himself possessing a person’s body! Noticeably, it was after Judas Iscariot had been torn away from the True Vine and left to carry out his destructive mission that Jesus began to reveal to His real disciples some deeper things about His mission. Beloved, the consequences of being cut off from the Lord’s Body are too dire to be contemplated. I therefore pray that the Master will not tear you away from Himself in Jesus’ Name.
Father, please remove from me whatever will cause me to be torn away from the true vine in Jesus’ Name.
HYMNAL: Hymn 12 – Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus
1. Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus
Daily let me go;
Higher, higher in the school of wisdom,
More of grace to know.
O deeper yet I pray,
And higher ev’ry day,
And wiser, blessed, Lord,
In Thy precious, holy word.
2. Deeper, deeper! blessed Holy Spirit,
Take me deeper still,
Till my life is wholly lost in Jesus
And His perfect will.
3. Deeper, deeper! tho’ it cost hard trials,
Deeper let me go!
Rooted in the holy love of Jesus,
Let me fruitful grow.
4. Deeper, higher ev’ry day in Jesus,
Till all conflict past,
Finds me conqu’ror, and in His own image
Perfected at last.
5. Deeper, deeper in the faith of Jesus,
Holy faith and true;
In His pow’r and soul exulting wisdom
Let me peace pursue.
Open Heaven 15 October 2019 Daily Devotional guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.