DCLM Daily Manna 8 December 2019 Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi – A Different Kind of Death
TOPIC: A Different Kind Of Death
TEXT: John 11:47-57
47. Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.
48. If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him; and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.
49. And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
50. Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
51. And this spake he not of himself; but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
52. And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.
53. Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.
54. Jesus therefore walked no more openly among the Jews; but went thence unto a country near to the wilderness, into a city called Ephraim, and there continued with his disciples.
55. And the Jews’ passover was nigh at hand; and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves.
56. Then sought they for Jesus, and spake among themselves, as they stood in the temple, What think ye, that he will not come to the feast?
57. Now both the chief priests and the Pharisees had given a commandment, that, if any man knew where he were, he should shew it, that they might take him.
“Then from that day forth, they took counsel together for to put him to death” – (John 11:53).
Death is always a sad event because its separates loved ones. Death brings sorrow to the heart of men. It creates a vacuum that is always difficult to fill. And above all, death brings judgment to anyone who dies in sin. But there was one death that was different. It was a death that gives life to the dead. A death that brings freedom to those in captivity, that brings hope to the hopeless. That was the death of Jesus Christ at Calvary!
Jesus Christ had just raised Lazarus from the dead after four days in the grave. The euphoria of the unprecedented event was spread like wild fire everywhere. But the religious leaders of the day were not impressed. To them, it was an affront to their authority and therefore Jesus must be stopped.
The promise God gave immediately Adam fell at the Garden of Eden concerning “the seed of the woman” was eventually fulfilled at Calvary where Jesus died for the sins of the world. Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world” has through His substitutionary death taken the place of man by dying for all. And as many as will repent today of their sins and put their faith in Him by receiving Him as Lord and Saviour will be saved and their names written in the Book of life in heaven. Unfortunately, many don’t understand this simple gospel message. Some still believe they have to go through many days of fasting or one form of self-torture or another to “earn” salvation. But salvation is free.
This places a great responsibility on all believers to daily tell people of the availability of this great salvation. Secondly, believers must live pure lives that truly show that they have genuine salvation that has set them free from sin.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Jesus’ death is the climax of God’s love for man.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 8 December 2019 Devotional was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.