TOPIC: The Significance of Jesus’ Transfiguration
TEXT: Luke 9:28-36(NKJV)
28. Now it came to pass, about eight days after these sayings, that He took Peter, John, and James and went up on the mountain to pray.
29. As He prayed, the appearance of His face was altered, and His robe [became] white [and] glistening.
30. And behold, two men talked with Him, who were Moses and Elijah,
31. who appeared in glory and spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.
32. But Peter and those with him were heavy with sleep; and when they were fully awake, they saw His glory and the two men who stood with Him.
33. Then it happened, as they were parting from Him, [that] Peter said to Jesus, “Master, it is good for us to be here; and let us make three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah” — not knowing what he said.
34. While he was saying this, a cloud came and overshadowed them; and they were fearful as they entered the cloud.
35. And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!”
36. When the voice had ceased, Jesus was found alone. But they kept quiet, and told no one in those days any of the things they had seen.
STUDY: Transfiguration was the glorification of the human body of Jesus Christ. The scene is a representation of Christ’s coming kingdom in its fullness. The appearance of Moses and Elijah with Jesus is highly significant (v.30). The name ‘Moses’ was equated with the Old Testament law that God had given to the people. Jesus came and fulfilled the commandments of the law and did the things the law could not do i.e., to provide an answer for the problem of sin. The law pointed out the problem; Jesus gave the solution (Jn.1:17).
Elijah was also an outstanding figure in the Old Testament. He was a great prophet and his appearance with Moses on the Mount of Transfiguration testified that Jesus fulfilled the prophets as well as the law. The voice of God the father gave confirmation of the calling and Sonship of Jesus Christ (v.35). He acknowledged that Jesus had pleased Him in the things He had said and done.
There are many religions through which people worship God but God was recommending Jesus Christ to us as the only way, the truth and the life (Jn. 14:6). No one can be found right before God through his own efforts of doing right. Forgiveness of sins and being right with God is only possible through a personal faith in Jesus Christ who loved us and gave Himself for us. You must make up your mind to listen to Jesus Christ in every situation (v.35).
PRAYER: Lord, give me a listening ear and a heart to do whatever you have commanded in Jesus name! Amen
DAILY QUOTE: “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)
Daily Fountain Devotional 6 August 2020 – The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England. It gives its current membership as “over 18 million”, out of a total Nigerian population of over 200 million.