Topic: Be Considerate
Opening Prayer: Open my eyes O Lord that I might behold wondrous things from your word in Jesus name.
Scripture: 1 Kings 4:21 ─ 34
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
The kingdom under Solomon extended from the River Euphrates to the land of the Philistines, as far as the border of Egypt (vv.21,24). He had peace on all sides. None of all the nations that were subject to him offered to shake off his yoke, or to give him any disturbance. David, by his successful wars, compelled them to this subjection. However, his kingdom was not a complete fulfilment of the Covenant spoken about in Genesis 15:18–21. In vv.24–28 we see the magnificence of Solomon’s reign. Check it out.
Solomon’s table was spread with all the necessities and delicacies which the house or the field could afford. This lifestyle could not have been supported without taxation. What do you make of this country’s tax system? Solomon’s wisdom is compared with such greats as Ethan, Heman, Calcol and Darda. Note that Ethan wrote Psalm 89 and Heman, Psalm 88. Solomon’s wide knowledge of many sciences enabled him to use object lessons from nature in expounding his wisdom (v.33).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And So: Should affluent people consume so much while others go hungry? What sacrifices can we make to help those less fortunate?
• Lord, guide us to be modest in the way we use what you have, by grace, given us.
• Thank God for interdenominational corporate bodies such as Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN), Christian Council of Nigeria (CCN).
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Romans 8:1
Read the Bible in one Year
Psalms 68–69; Acts 24
Scripture Union Daily Guide 4 August 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.