TOPIC: God of Mercy
TEXT: Ezekiel 20:10-26
10. Wherefore I caused them to go forth out of the land of Egypt, and brought them into the wilderness.
11. And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them.
12. Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
13. But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness; they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted; then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.
14. But I wrought for my name’s sake, that it should not be polluted before the heathen, in whose sight I brought them out.
15. Yet also I lifted up my hand unto them in the wilderness, that I would not bring them into the land which I had given them, flowing with milk and honey, which is the glory of all lands;
16. Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths; for their heart went after their idols.
17. Nevertheless mine eye spared them from destroying them, neither did I make an end of them in the wilderness.
18. But I said unto their children in the wilderness, Walk ye not in the statutes of your fathers, neither observe their judgments, nor defile yourselves with their idols;
19. I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;
20. And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God.
21. Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me; they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths; then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness.
22. Nevertheless I withdrew mine hand, and wrought for my name’s sake, that it should not be polluted in the sight of the heathen, in whose sight I brought them forth.
23. I lifted up mine hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries;
24. Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers’ idols.
25. Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live;
26. And I polluted them in their own gifts, in that they caused to pass through the fire all that openeth the womb, that I might make them desolate, to the end that they might know that I am the LORD.
“Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols. Nevertheless mine eye spared them from destroying them, neither did I make an end of them in the wilderness.” – (Ezekiel 20:16,17)
DCLM Daily Manna 10 September 2020 Devotional MESSAGE:
A mother once approached the French military chief, Napoleon, seeking a pardon for her son. The emperor replied that the young man had committed a certain offense twice and justice demanded death. “But I don’t ask for justice,” the mother explained. “I plead for mercy.” “But your son does not deserve mercy,” Napoleon replied. “Sir”, the woman cried, “mercy is all I ask for”. “Well, then,” the emperor said, “I will have mercy.” And he spared the woman’s son.
Today’s passage calls to remembrance the awesome power of God and His mercy demonstrated over and over in the lives of His people, the Israelites. While in the wilderness on their way to Canaan, God gave them the Ten Commandments and other statutes. But the children of Israel rebelled against God, walked not in the statutes and despised His judgments on several occasions. They polluted the Sabbaths and their eyes went after the idols of the land.
Their rebellious acts courted God’s wrath and on several occasions, He would decide to pour out His fury on them in the wilderness and utterly consume them. But His mercies always prevailed over judgment. This was for the sake of His glory, to prevent the heathen from thinking that He was unable to successfully take them to the Promised Land. Although a lot of them perished in the wilderness, God still spared a remnant that entered the Promised Land.
God hates rebellion. It is the surest path to destruction and to making Him one’s enemy. He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. However, those who fail to repent but harden their heart in rebellion will have God’s wrath and fury poured on them. He delights in mercy; let us avail ourselves of His mercy and live.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The mill of God’s judgment grinds slowly but surely.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 10 September 2020 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria
- Federal govt bans Emirates Airlines from operating in Nigeria September 18, 2020
- Seeds of Destiny 19 September 2020 Devotional By Dr. Paul Enenche September 18, 2020
- Our Daily Bread 19 September 2020 Devotional – In Focus September 18, 2020
- MFM Daily Devotional 19 September 2020 – Dream Monitors September 18, 2020
- Open Heaven 19 September 2020 – Becoming An Examplary Leader 3 September 18, 2020
- BBNaija: Kiddwaya shares first video call, sending lots of love to Erica (Video)
- Davido Replies Kiddwaya After He Reacted To His New Song FEM
- Fan Mocks Vee For Saying There’s Nothing As Sweet As Buying Your Own Car After Ozo Won Yesterday
- BBNaija: Nengi accuses Ozo of masturbating, says there are cum stains on your bed
- BBNaija: Erica Bathed With Me And Brighto Nak3d – says Neo (Video)
- BBNaija: I almost had se*x with Neo – Vee confesses to Laycon
- BBNaija: Trikytee fires Dorathy, calls her a sore loser
- Kiddwaya is knacking Erica now while Tolanibaj goes begging Prince – Vee
- BNaija 2020: Kiddwaya clarifies what he did with Nengi in Big Brother toilet
- BBNaija 2020: Laycon’s gossip about me will not change my promise – Kiddwaya