Topic: Tutored by God
Opening Prayer: Let me know more of you today dear Lord as I meditate on your word.
Scripture: Psalm 119:49–72
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
Message: The law of learning stresses that love for the teacher produces love for the subject and this promotes knowledge of the subject. Two things stand out prominently in this psalm ─ the psalmist’s love for God and his word. The song writer confesses that his theme song is the word of God. What a good example for all believers and especially, our pastors, teachers, parents and leaders to follow.
The psalmist remembers God’s promises: Which inspire hope in him Comfort him in suffering Preserve his life Become his theme song Your closeness to God determines his closeness to you (James 4:8). Read vv.55–60 and note the things the psalmist has made his goal. This has also influenced his choices in life (vv.61–64). He longs to be taught by God. Is this also your goal in life? As we saw yesterday, as an example of fatherhood, God applies loving discipline to ensure his character is formed in those who joyfully allow him (v.67).
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And so: Are you a parent or spiritual leader/ How close is your parenting style to the divine pattern? What can you learn from vv.67–72?
• May my love for you and your word, O Lord, equip me to fit into your pattern of parenting and leadership.
• Ask for the spirit of grace and excellence in all you do.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Isaiah 35:4
Read the Bible in one Year
Song of Sol. 4–5; Eph. 1
Scripture Union Daily Guide 10th October 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.