Topic: Live and work for God
Opening Prayer: Help me to understand the exceeding greatness of your power as I read through this passage, dear Lord.
Today’s Scripture: 2 Corinthians 1:12 ─ 22
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any warning for me to heed?
Message: False teachers have crept into the Corinthian church and part of their main assignment is to discredit Paul and challenge his personal integrity. His change of plan to pay a longer visit instead of two short ones earlier promised becomes a reason to prove, according to the false teachers, that he is not to be trusted. How did he address that in vv.12–14? He had lived and worked with them for eighteen months. His conduct among them was a proof of what he stood for and so he submits that to his credibility.
Our life is always the best way of demonstrating our faith and proving that we have a true message from the Lord to the world. As they build on the relationship, Paul appeals to them for understanding of the common grace that they share with him and the other disciples in vv.21–22.
The Spirit of God in the life of the believer enables him to live in truth and integrity. Paul does not claim to be perfect but points to the fact that just as he is able to maintain that relationship, the brethren in Corinth are also endowed with the same grace through the Spirit of God in them.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• And so? To what extent can people testify that you are a believer in Christ?
• Father, please help me to be a living witness of Christ to a world in need.
• Thank God for His love in preserving His church in the face of intense persecution in parts of the world such as Northern Nigeria and many Islamic nations.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Proverbs 10:3
Read the Bible in one Year
1 Sam. 1–3; Eph. 3
Scripture Union Daily Guide 12th October 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.