TOPIC: THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD SPOKE THROUGH ME
Opening Prayer: My dear heavenly Father, as I study your word, let it be a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
Scripture: 2 Samuel 23:1–7
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• What is God revealing to me in this passage?
MESSAGE: Scripture Union Daily Guide 6th October 2020
Examine the description of David in v.1. It will be beneficial to consider the last words of such a person! Here is an inspiring testimony of conversation with God (vv.2–3a; compare with 2 Timothy 3:16). David led a life of utter devotion to God and enjoyed seeking God and obeying his word (1 Samuel 23:2–5; 2 Samuel 2:1–2; 5:19–25; Psalm 63:1–2).
It was natural that God spoke to him clearly over various issues. Read vv.3–4 again. How does this challenge us to godly leadership? Sadly, only a few persons are praised for godly leadership today. Are you among them? David testifies based on God’s covenant with him through Nathan (v.5; cf. 7:12–16).
It is important to gain God’s heart so that his commitment to us will extend to our children and grandchildren. Then, we will leave behind a legacy of God’s presence and favour. This passage is described as David’s last words, but it is also evident that it was his testimony of the Lord’s dealings with him and faithfulness to him.
It is likely that this testimony was to inspire and challenge his son Solomon, who was to later take over from him, to put his total trust in God (cf. 1 Chronicles 28:9). Do you take time to share your testimony with your family and friends?
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Action: List those things that can help you to improve the governance of your life, family and business from today. Commit them to God.
• Help me dear Lord to be a consistent godly leader.
• Thank God for interdenominational corporate bodies such as Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN), Christian Council of Nigeria (CCN).
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Acts 27:24
Read The Bible In One Year: Ezek. 42–44; John 19: 1–22
Scripture Union Daily Guide 6th October 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.