TOPIC: Self–Commendation Is Never Authentic
OPENING PRAYER: Plant my steps in the sure promises of your word today, dear Lord.
SCRIPTURE: 2 Corinthians 10:12–18
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any other Biblical passage that can help me understand this passage better?
Paul confronts the false teachers who were discrediting his apostleship by showing their lack of reasoning in boasting about catching fish in someone’s fishpond (vv.14, 16). That is destroying rather than building God’s church as they cause disharmony. Some preachers in our nations today make it their business to disturb congregations by establishing churches among churched communities. They persuade many to switch churches, but no new converts are added to the church of Christ as a whole. This switching causes a lot of unhealthy relationship and discouragement.
Many of such preachers often speak ill of the original preachers who established the congregations from where they are poaching. They would do well to go to unreached communities and start new work there. This is hard work they do not like to do. They compare themselves with other people and not the unchanging God’s standards. Self–commendation leads to pride and taking God’s glory which is a serious sin. Rather, we need to work within designated parameters set by God, the owner of the ministry.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• A challenge: What is your aim in your ministry – God’s glory or yours?
• Grant Lord, that you may be able to say of me, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”
• Pray for the Church to spend money in a way that will best honour God.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with Philippians 1:6
READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR
1 Chron. 1–3; Jude
Scripture Union Daily Guide 10th November 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God