TOPIC: Sons Of Light And Sons Of The Day
TEXT: 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11(NKJV)
1. But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you.
2. For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night.
3. For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.
4. But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief.
5. You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness.
6. Therefore let us not sleep, as others [do,] but let us watch and be sober.
7. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night.
8. But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and [as] a helmet the hope of salvation.
9. For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,
10. who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him.
11. Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.
STUDY: Apostle Paul in this chapter addressed the necessity of being ready for the coming of the Lord. His audience were eager to know when Jesus would return in glory, so Paul reminded them that “the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night” (v.2). Thieves and evil perpetrators choose to work in the darkness of the night when others are asleep or drunk (vs. 6-7)
However, the children of God are “sons of light and sons of the day” (vs. 4-5). They should not be found sleeping or drunk when that day comes. Instead, they should be in full control of themselves, spiritually vigilant and standing readily dressed in the amour of light (v.8; Rom. 13:12).
In view of the nearness of the coming of Christ, it is expected of believers to walk as children of light so that the Day will not come upon them unawares. “Walk as children of light” is a command (Eph. 5:8.) “Walking” here implies lifestyle. We must distinguish ourselves from those who are still living in darkness. Watch! Be on the alert. Awake! Commit yourself to growing in your relationship with the Lord which includes prayer, worship and studying to understand the Word of God. This is the lifestyle of the children of light, who have salvation in Jesus.
For further Reading: Ephesians 5:8-21
PRAYER: Dear heavenly Father, help me to show the world around me through my lifestyle that I belong to you. Help me not to follow the dark path but walk in the light of God. Amen.
Daily Fountain Quote of the Day
“He who lays up treasures on earth spends his life backing away from his treasures. To him, death is loss. He who lays up treasures in heaven looks forward to eternity; he’s moving daily toward his treasures. To him, death is gain.”– Randy Alcorn
Anglican Daily Fountain Devotional 15th November 2020 – The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England. – The Church of Nigeria is the Anglican church in Nigeria. It is the second-largest province in the Anglican Communion, as measured by baptized membership, after the Church of England.