Topic: Dealing With Sin In The Church
Opening Prayer: Oh Lord, fill me with the power of the Holy Ghost as I study your word.
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 13:1-13
• Is there any example for me to follow or not to follow?
• Is there any other Biblical passage that can help me understand this passage better?
Message: After dealing with the challenge of the false apostles, Paul re–establishes his authority over the Corinthians by reminding them that he would deal with offenders when he visited them for the third time (v.2). He speaks firmly against sin and advices those who do not live well to desist from sin before he visited them as he would not hesitate to punish offenders. Whose power was Paul relying on in dealing with the church (vv.3, 4)?
Notice the advice he gave the Corinthians in v.5. It is important that we all should regularly examine ourselves to see whether we follow the teachings of the Lord in our lives daily. Why is this exercise important with every individual and church? Notice what the apostolic authority is meant for in v. 10.
Paul ends his letter with an encouragement to the Corinthians to put things in order, agree with each other, and live at peace with one another (v.11). He does not just re–establish his authority but his relationship with the church again. When things have gone wrong and you talk about it, you need to seek to normalize relationships again. Keeping grudges is harmful to the individuals concerned and to the church.
⁂ Any new insight or reinforcement of what you already know?
• Meditation: Do you need to mend relationships with anybody of late? Pray about it and do it.
Eternal life otherwise called everlasting life is the life of God in man received at conversion. It is a life without end with God in eternity. Christ died for us in order that He will live in us. His life in us is the source of eternal life and is the power by which we live a true Christian life that goes on after the earthly life.
• Lord, help me to do nothing against the truth, but to do everything for the truth in Jesus name. Amen.
• Pray for Christian Ministries that either provide free Bibles or are involved in Bible translation into ethnic languages such as Gideon International, Bible Society of Nigeria, etc.
• Offer a prayer of faith in line with I Samuel 2:9
Read the Bible in one Year
1 Chron. 16–18; Luke 2:1–24
Scripture Union Daily Guide 15th November 2020 – Scripture Union is an international, inter-denominational, evangelical Christian organization. It was founded in 1867, and works in partnership with individuals and churches across the world. The organization’s stated aim is to use the Bible to inspire children, young people and adults to know God.