DCLM Daily Manna 10 July 2022 Devotional for Sunday
TOPIC: Spare Not A Word
TEXT: Jeremiah 26:1-11
1. In the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah came this word from the LORD, saying,
2. Thus saith the LORD; Stand in the court of the LORD’S house, and speak unto all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the LORD’S house, all the words that I command thee to speak unto them; diminish not a word;
3. If so be they will hearken, and turn every man from his evil way, that I may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them because of the evil of their doings.
4. And thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the LORD; If ye will not hearken to me, to walk in my law, which I have set before you,
5. To hearken to the words of my servants the prophets, whom I sent unto you, both rising up early, and sending them, but ye have not hearkened;
6. Then will I make this house like Shiloh, and will make this city a curse to all the nations of the earth.
7. So the priests and the prophets and all the people heard Jeremiah speaking these words in the house of the LORD.
8. Now it came to pass, when Jeremiah had made an end of speaking all that the LORD had commanded him to speak unto all the people, that the priests and the prophets and all the people took him, saying, Thou shalt surely die.
9. Why hast thou prophesied in the name of the LORD, saying, This house shall be like Shiloh, and this city shall be desolate without an inhabitant? And all the people were gathered against Jeremiah in the house of the LORD.
10. When the princes of Judah heard these things, then they came up from the king’s house unto the house of the LORD, and sat down in the entry of the new gate of the LORD’S house.
11. Then spake the priests and the prophets unto the princes and to all the people, saying, This man is worthy to die; for he hath prophesied against this city, as ye have heard with your ears.
“Thus saith the LORD; Stand in the court of the LORD’S house, and speak unto all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the LORD’S house, all the words that I command thee to speak unto them; diminish not a word.” – (Jeremiah 26:2)
DCLM Daily Manna 10 July 2022 Devotional MESSAGE:
Workers send their union leaders to the government or their employers to negotiate on their behalf for improved conditions of service. The labour leaders are given a wide berth that allows for much manoeuvres. After bargaining and discussing for days, an agreement would be reached. The workers would not get exactly what they wanted. But the authorities would offer concessions, satisfied that the workers would not down tools.
God’s messengers must not water down His message when He sends them to preach to erring people. His word must not be negotiated. So, He warned Prophet Jeremiah: “diminish not a word”. His messenger must not be tempted to reduce the gravity of the warning especially His plan to pull down the temple like Shiloh if Judah did not repent. He must say it as it was delivered to him.
The Lord wants us to boldly preach the truth that would free sinners from their misery and not to cringe before them. Although a death sentence was passed on Jeremiah after obeying the Lord, God showed up for him and prevented his execution in order to prove that He would also defend those who defend His word.
Believers must never attempt to please people by repressing the saving gospel. We must always plead for courage from the Holy Spirit to preach only the gospel truth. There would be persecution and threats to our lives and means of livelihoods. But we should remember the Lord’s comforting assurance: “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee” (Hebrews 13:5).
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The invincible God is the support of every faithful preacher.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 10 July 2022 Devotional | Deeper Life Devotional Guide was written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.