TOPIC: Paying the Price
TEXT: Luke 18:18-30
18. And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
19. And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.
20. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.
21. And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.
22. Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing; sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.
23. And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful; for he was very rich.
24. And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
25. For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
26. And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?
27. And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.
28. Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.
29. And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God’s sake,
30. Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.
“Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.” – (Luke 18:22)
DCLM Daily Manna 21 December 2020 Devotional MESSAGE:
A story was told of one Giuseppe Garibaldi who set out to deliver his country from external aggressors. He came across some idle young folks and told them to join forces with him against the aggressors. They asked him what would be their gain if they joined him to fight the war. He said: “I offer you neither pay, nor quarters nor provisions. I offer you hunger, thirst, forced marches battles, heat. Let him that loves his country truly follow me”. And they followed him.
Our text focuses on Christ’s encounter with a young, rich ruler. This young man had power and prestige. He was equally wealthy. Yet, he never knew the way to eternal life. At a point, he approached Christ and sought to know the qualification of getting to heaven. After an exhaustive dialogue, Jesus Christ asked him to sell all he had and followed. But the ruler could not pay the price. He never knew that securing eternal life require following Jesus Christ. The price was too much for him to pay. His wealth and riches were his problems. He never knew that the greatest security any man could have in this world is to come under Christ’s eternal protection and preservation.
Jesus Christ said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” This message is instructive enough to shape your life’s direction. It re-emphasises the need to focus on Him alone. Do not make money or education your god.
Nothing should be too high or great to give up in order to gain heaven. Nothing should be too difficult for us to surrender for the sake of heaven. It is not what we have given up that really matters, but the rewards that await us in heaven at last. We must, therefore, strive to follow the narrow way. At the end, we shall surely know we have not followed Christ our Lord in vain.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
No price is too much for the heavenly mansion.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 21 December 2020 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.