TOPIC: A More Excellent Way
TEXT: 1 Thessalonians 2:1-12
1. For yourselves, brethren, know our entrance in unto you, that it was not in vain;
2. But even after that we had suffered before, and were shamefully entreated, as ye know, at Philippi, we were bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God with much contention.
3. For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile;
4. But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
5. For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God is witness;
6. Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ.
7. But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children;
8. So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.
9. For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail; for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God.
10. Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe;
11. As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
12. That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.
“Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe.” – (1 Thessalonians 2:10)
DCLM Daily Manna 22 March 2021 Devotional MESSAGE:
Eagles are reputed to be peculiar and unique among other birds. For example, while other birds take shelter when it rains, eagles fly above the cloud of rains. Eagles are also reported to have ability to fly very long distances often without perching. It is reputed to be a strong and fearless hunter that can fly even with one wing when the other one is damaged. The secret of this is that eaglets are thoroughly trained from the nest to maturity by the adult eagles through practice and demonstration.
The Thessalonian church had the great privilege of altruistic eagle-like leaders and ministers who sacrificed all to ensure balanced growth of their young converts. From inception, these leaders emphasised “the gospel of God”. They avoided any form of deceit, uncleanness or guile. Pleasing God was at the forefront of their endeavours. Indeed, they presented themselves as the epitome of what they were teaching the Thessalonian believers. They laboured sacrificially and in all honesty while presenting themselves figuratively as a ‘nurse’ and a ‘father’ to the church. They even referenced God as a witness to their piety. Indeed, the Thessalonians had much to learn not only from their teachings but much more from the lives of these evangelists.
We learn many things here. One, our preaching needs to centre on Jesus only. Two, we need to create a strong persuasion about the gospel by our own lifestyle. Three, our lives must positively rub off on our converts, fellow believers and everyone who interacts with us (Matthew 5:16).
Fake, hypocritical, superficial and half-baked Christians abound in many assemblies today who are products of wrong and warped foundations. If the foundation be destroyed, the righteous can and should re-cast it.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
A disciple is known by the image of his master.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 22 March 2021 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.