Topic: Equal Treatment, Please!
TEXT: Leviticus 14:21-32
21. And if he be poor, and cannot get so much; then he shall take one lamb for a trespass offering to be waved, to make an atonement for him, and one tenth deal of fine flour mingled with oil for a meat offering, and a log of oil;
22. And two turtledoves, or two young pigeons, such as he is able to get; and the one shall be a sin offering, and the other a burnt offering.
23. And he shall bring them on the eighth day for his cleansing unto the priest, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, before the LORD.
24. And the priest shall take the lamb of the trespass offering, and the log of oil, and the priest shall wave them for a wave offering before the LORD;
25. And he shall kill the lamb of the trespass offering, and the priest shall take some of the blood of the trespass offering, and put it upon the tip of the right ear of him that is to be cleansed, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot;
26. And the priest shall pour of the oil into the palm of his own left hand;
27. And the priest shall sprinkle with his right finger some of the oil that is in his left hand seven times before the LORD;
28. And the priest shall put of the oil that is in his hand upon the tip of the right ear of him that is to be cleansed, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot, upon the place of the blood of the trespass offering;
29. And the rest of the oil that is in the priest’s hand he shall put upon the head of him that is to be cleansed, to make an atonement for him before the LORD.
30. And he shall offer the one of the turtledoves, or of the young pigeons, such as he can get;
31. Even such as he is able to get, the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering, with the meat offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for him that is to be cleansed before the LORD.
32. This is the law of him in whom is the plague of leprosy, whose hand is not able to get that which pertaineth to his cleansing.
“And the priest shall put of the oil that is in his hand upon the tip of the right ear of him that is to be cleansed, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot, upon the place of the blood of the trespass offering.” – (Leviticus 14:28)
DCLM Daily Manna 23 August 2021 MESSAGE:
God is no respecter of persons. Before Him, everyone is equal. He treats the rich and the poor alike. In the same vein, partiality, discrimination, segregation, favouritism, nepotism or tribalism should not be seen in the fellowship of believers. There should be no special treatment for anyone on account of close relationship, wealth, education, tribe or nationality as such traits do not make us any better than the people of the world.
The passage under consideration shows the gracious provision the Lord made for the poor lepers who could not afford animals for the sin offering and burnt offerings. They were allowed to offer birds instead (two turtledoves or young pigeons) while the cleansing ritual followed the same pattern for both the rich and the poor. The poor were never marginalised. They were as welcome to God’s altar of grace and mercy as the rich.
This implies that everyone, regardless of tribe, race, age or level of education needs the blood of Christ for justification. Without faith in the blood of the Lamb, there can not be salvation.
Just as the celebration of restoration of a leper to the fellowship of the family and the congregation at large was usually attended with joy and pomp, so should we receive a backslider who has been restored to fellowship. It should be a thing of joy for the individual, the family and the entire congregation. Sinners should be made to know that there is joy in heaven when they repent of their sins.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Christ died for all humanity.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 23 August 2021 Deeper Life Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.