DCLM Daily Manna 23rd August 2022 Devotional for Tuesday
TOPIC: Folly of Resisting The Truth
TEXT: Amos 7:10-17
10. Then Amaziah the priest of Bethel sent to Jeroboam king of Israel, saying, Amos hath conspired against thee in the midst of the house of Israel; the land is not able to bear all his words.
11. For thus Amos saith, Jeroboam shall die by the sword, and Israel shall surely be led away captive out of their own land.
12. Also Amaziah said unto Amos, O thou seer, go, flee thee away into the land of Judah, and there eat bread, and prophesy there;
13. But prophesy not again any more at Bethel; for it is the king’s chapel, and it is the king’s court.
14. Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet’s son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit;
15. And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.
16. Now therefore hear thou the word of the LORD; Thou sayest, Prophesy not against Israel, and drop not thy word against the house of Isaac.
17. Therefore thus saith the LORD; Thy wife shall be an harlot in the city, and thy sons and thy daughters shall fall by the sword, and thy land shall be divided by line; and thou shalt die in a polluted land; and Israel shall surely go into captivity forth of his land.
“Also Amaziah said unto Amos, O thou seer, go, flee thee away into the land of Judah, and there eat bread, and prophesy there: But prophesy not again any more at Bethel: for it is the king’s chapel, and it is the king’s court” (Amos 7:12,13).
DCLM Daily Manna 23rd August 2022 Devotional MESSAGE
The difference between light and darkness is clear. So is the difference between the children of light and the children of darkness. King Jehoiakim who could not receive the message from God through Jeremiah had to cut the scrolls with his penknife and threw them into the fire, despite the pleas from his princes. He ordered the arrest of Jeremiah and Baruch, and might have killed them had God not hidden them (Jeremiah 36:21-26). Why? He was in darkness and hated the light.
Amaziah, obviously one of the priests of the golden calf in Bethel rose in opposition to God’s message of impending judgment to Israel through Amos. He sent to King Jeroboam II, alleging that Amos had conspired against him by saying that “Jeroboam shall die by the sword and that Israel shall surely be led away captive”.
He went ahead to counsel the prophet to “flee…into the land of Judah… and prophesy there, but prophesy not again any more in Bethel, for it is the king’s chapel…” However, the prophet responded by affirming his call by God and pronouncing God’s judgment that would come upon him.
The ungodly always feels irritated by the truth and fights against it. Today, the true Church of Christ faces all forms of opposition and blackmail from false and apostate religious organisations parading themselves as true representatives of Christ and His Church.
The believer must be careful of the books he reads, fellowships he attends and friends he keeps, because evil communications corrupt good manners.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
The distractions of false prophets are destructive.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 23rd August 2022 Devotional | Deeper Life Devotional Guide was written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.