Connect with us

SPORTS NEWS

Man City survive FA Cup scare, Arsenal crash out

Published

on

FA Cup results, Man City survive FA Cup scare, Arsenal crash out, Premium News24

Manchester City were given a huge FA Cup scare by fourth-tier Cheltenham before a late blitz gave them a 3-1 win on Saturday after Southampton dumped holders Arsenal out of the competition.

Six-time winners City were less than 10 minutes away from going out at the fourth-round stage before goals from Phil Foden, Gabriel Jesus and Ferran Torres.

City boss Pep Guardiola made 10 changes for the trip to the League Two side but his side was still packed with internationals.

The home team — 72 places below City in the English football pyramid — produced a stirring defensive display to keep their much-vaunted opponents at bay.

Then, minutes after Jesus had hit the post in the second half, they took the lead.

City failed to deal with the outstanding Ben Tozer’s long throw and Alfie May fired in from close range to spark celebrations among the players.

Riyad Mahrez should have equalised when put through by Foden but Josh Griffiths produced a fine save to keep his side’s lead intact.

City were finally level when Foden levelled with nine minutes left, volleying in Joao Cancelo’s cross.

Three minutes later Jesus increased City’s lead, beating the offside trap to fire in from Fernandinho’s dinked ball over the centre-backs.

Torres made it 3-1 with the final kick of the game, turning in Ilkay Gundogan’s low cross.

– Arsenal out –

Earlier, Arsenal, who have won the competition a record 14 times, went down 1-0 at St Mary’s courtesy of a Gabriel own goal.

In the early kick-off on the English south coast, Arsenal paid the price for a sluggish start against fellow top-flight side Southampton.

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta made seven changes from his team’s 3-0 league win against Newcastle on Monday, with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and midfielder Emile Smith Rowe both absent.

Southampton, FA Cup winners in 1976, earned a well-deserved lead in the 24th minute when Kyle Walker-Peters’ ball across the six-yard area was inadvertently turned in by Gabriel.

It was the first time rejuvenated Arsenal had conceded for 508 minutes.

The visitors went close to an equaliser through Eddie Nketiah’s deflected shot but were forced to leave empty-handed.

Arteta, who won the FA Cup in August in his first season as Arsenal boss, said he was “really sad” to exit the competition.

“We had a dream to do it again like last year and the dream today is over,” he said.

“I am as well disappointed with the way we conceded the goal in an area where we know we shouldn’t be doing that. At the same time I cannot fault the effort of the players.”

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl, who welcomed back Danny Ings after a hamstring injury and a positive coronavirus test in a strong line-up, was delighted with the win.

“We had in the first half more punch and more power,” said the Austrian, whose side briefly topped the Premier League earlier this season.

West Ham crushed third-tier Doncaster 4-0 despite multiple changes from manager David Moyes while fellow Premier League sides Brighton and Sheffield United also progressed.

Pablo Fornals gave impressive West Ham an early lead at home to Doncaster as they dominated the League One side from the kick-off.

Andriy Yarmolenko doubled the lead before a second-half own goal from Andy Butler and a late strike from debutant Oladapo Afolayan.

West Ham, seventh in the Premier League after three straight wins, will play either Manchester United or Liverpool in the next round.

Goals from Yves Bissouma and Steven Alzate were enough to seal a 2-1 win for Brighton against League One Blackpool.

Chris Basham and Billy Sharp scored for Premier League strugglers Sheffield United against League One opponents Plymouth.

Elsewhere, Swansea thumped fellow Championship side Nottingham Forest 5-1, while Bristol City beat Millwall 3-0. Barnsley beat Championship leaders Norwich 1-0.

On Sunday, Premier League leaders Manchester United face Liverpool in the tie of the round, while Chelsea host Luton.

Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

SPORTS NEWS

Champions League: What we will do against Chelsea in second leg – Simeone

Published

on

By

Champions League: What we will do against Chelsea in second leg – Simeone, Champions League: What we will do against Chelsea in second leg – Simeone, Premium News24

Atletico Madrid manager, Diego Simeone, has said they will have a lot of work to do ahead of their second leg clash with Chelsea in the Champions League.

The LaLiga side lost 1-0 to Thomas Tuchel’s side on Tuesday night.

Olivier Giroud scored the only goal of the match in the second half.

As a result, Simeone’s side will have it all to do at Stamford Bridge in three weeks, as they seek to qualify for the quarter-final.

“Looking three weeks ahead is too far. We have a lot of games until then. We will be playing against an opponent with speed and will need to be able to stop it, to deal with forwards like Giroud and other powerful players.

“We need to have more of the ball and position ourselves better in attack. We’ll work on it, but we also have an important game against Villarreal.

“Work, work, work. I trust the team we have. If we were in the month of September and they told me we’ve lost but we’re still leading, I’d sign for it,” Simeone said.

Continue Reading

SPORTS NEWS

Champions League: We didn’t let Atletico Madrid breathe – Tuchel

Published

on

By

Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea, Champions League: We didn’t let Atletico Madrid breathe – Tuchel, Premium News24

Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel, has said his side didn’t allow Atletico Madrid “breathe” as they won 1-0 in their Champions League last 16 on Tuesday night.

Olivier Giroud’s stunning overhead kick in the second half proved to be the winner, as the Blues claimed a huge advantage ahead of the second leg.

Tuchel admitted he prepared his team to face a defensive Atletico side.

Speaking to BT Sport, he said: “We knew it [Atletico packing their defence] could happen. We told the guys if it happens maybe it’s our quality and the respect. We wanted to be brave and play in their half.

“We knew they were ready to suffer with eight people in the box. The intention was to keep the intensity high. This is what we did very good. We never let them breathe or come out for counterattacks. We have a big reward with this result.

“This is one of the toughest challenges to open a defence like Atletico.”

Continue Reading

SPORTS NEWS

Chelsea vs Man United: Tuchel issues strong warning to Chelsea players ahead of the game

Published

on

By

Chelsea vs Man United, Chelsea vs Man United: Tuchel issues strong warning to Chelsea players ahead of the game, Premium News24

Chelsea vs Man United – Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel, has warned his players not to allow complacency set in, ahead of this weekend’s clash with Manchester United.

Tuchel was speaking after the Blues’ 1-0 win over Atletico Madrid in the Champions League on Tuesday.

The win puts the Stamford Bridge side in good stead to qualify for the quarter-final.

Chelsea will now return to Premier League action against United, hoping to extend their eight-game unbeaten run under Tuchel.

But Tuchel has said they “cannot get comfortable or get lazy” ahead of a crucial four-game stretch in their top four ambitions.

Tuchel said: “Honestly, we now play Manchester United, Liverpool, Everton and Leeds but this is good. We cannot get comfortable or get lazy.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

TRENDING