Former world number one Tiger Woods has broken his silence on his arrest in Florida on Monday morning.
The golf legend, who who was charged with Driving Under the Influence (DUI), said alcohol was not a factor and instead blamed an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications.
Woods, who is currently sidelined from competition after having his fourth back surgery in April, said in a statement he took full responsibility for his actions and apologised to his family, friends and fans.
“I want the public to know that alcohol was not involved. What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications,” he said.
“I didn’t realise the mix of medications had affected me so strongly.”
The father-of-two continued: “I would like to apologise with all my heart to my family, friends, and the fans. I expect more from myself, too. I will do everything in my power to ensure this never happens again.”
Woods, who is second on the all-time list with 14 major titles, was booked at 03:00 local time (07:00 GMT) and released several hours later on his own recognisance, which means he promised in writing to co-operate with future legal proceedings, according to an online police report.
His back surgery has ruled him out of the PGA Tour this season.
Speaking about the surgery on his blog, he previously said: “I could no longer live with the pain I had – we tried every possible non-surgical route and nothing worked.
“I had good days and bad days, but the pain was usually there, and I couldn’t do much. Even lying down hurt.
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)