TOPIC: The Enemy Within
MEMORISE: “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” 1 Corinthians 9:27
READ: Galatians 5:16-26 (KJV)
16. This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary the one to the other; so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19. Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21. Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23. Meekness, temperance; against such there is no law.
24. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
MESSAGE: Many people think that the greatest enemy of man is the devil. Yes, the devil is an enemy of man because he hates everything loved by God and God loves man. However, the devil is not man’s greatest enemy. The elders say that if the enemy within cannot kill a man, the enemy without would not be able to either.
The greatest enemy of man is the enemy within the flesh. By flesh, I don’t mean your physical flesh, but your worldly desires. You must not lose the battle against the flesh as such a loss would result in the automatic defeat in other battles of life.
The flesh will tell you not to pray even though the Bible says “Pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17). The flesh will tell you not to fast even though Jesus said “When ye fast…” (Matthew 6:16) not “If ye fast”. The flesh will tell you not to witness even though Jesus said the branch that does not bear fruit will be cut off (John 15:2).
The flesh will tell you not to give even though Luke 6:38 says “Give and it shall be given unto you…” The flesh will tell you to spend your tithe even though Malachi 3:8-10 says if you don’t pay your tithe, you are a robber. The flesh will tell you to commit sin even though the Bible says those that sin are of the devil (1 John 3:8).
The greatest victory of all is the victory over the flesh and to have it, you need to constantly say No to its desires. Doing the will of the flesh may seem pleasurable for now, but believe me, it would ultimately bring sorrow. King David decided to indulge the flesh for just one day and the result was killings upon killings in his household (2 Samuel 11, 12).
Up until today; the sword has not left Israel. Romans 8:5-6 says:
“For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.”
When next the flesh comes to you with its enticements, say: “Joy to the wise; joy to me. I refuse to be a fool!”
PRAYER POINT: Lord, give me the grace to win the battle over my flesh and to live only according to the Spirit in the mighty name of Jesus.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Ezekiel 18-19
Open Heaven 31 August 2020 Devotional guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries.