TOPIC: Jesus the Healer
TEXT: Luke 18:31-43
“31. Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.
32. For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on;
33. And they shall scourge him, and put him to death; and the third day he shall rise again.
34. And they understood none of these things; and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.
35. And it came to pass, that as he was come nigh unto Jericho, a certain blind man sat by the way side begging;
36. And hearing the multitude pass by, he asked what it meant.
37. And they told him, that Jesus of Nazareth passeth by.
38. And he cried, saying, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me.
39. And they which went before rebuked him, that he should hold his peace; but he cried so much the more, Thou Son of David, have mercy on me.
40. And Jesus stood, and commanded him to be brought unto him; and when he was come near, he asked him,
41. Saying, What wilt thou that I shall do unto thee? And he said, Lord, that I may receive my sight.
42. And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight; thy faith hath saved thee.
43. And immediately he received his sight, and followed him, glorifying God; and all the people, when they saw it, gave praise unto God.”
“Saying, What wilt thou that I shall do unto thee? And he said, Lord, that I may receive my sight.” – (Luke 18:41)
John Graham Lake, a healing and preaching minister, once said the object of healing “is health, abiding health of body, soul and spirit. The healing of the spirit unites the spirit of man to God forever; the healing of the soul corrects psychological disorder and brings the soul process into harmony with the mind of God. And the healing of the body completes the union of man with God when the Holy Spirit possesses all.”
Our text dwells on the account of a blind man, who was begging by the wayside in Jericho. He heard the multitude passing by and demanded to know what was happening. They told him that “Jesus of Nazareth passeth by.” Incidentally, that was the last time Jesus would pass through Jericho before going to Calvary. He started shouting, “Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me.” Even when he was told to hold his peace, the blind man continued calling for Christ’s attention. At last, Christ heard his cry for mercy.
Unlike other blind persons in Jericho at the time Jesus Christ was passing through, the blind man seized the opportunity. He did not only receive healing to his blind eyes, but also the salvation of his soul. However, it never occurred to other blind fellows to come to Jesus for their salvation and sight. They all lost out.
Today may be your last opportunity to hear about Jesus Christ, the Healer and Restorer. Do not miss this great chance. Like the blind man, cry out to Him and never entertain distraction from any quarters.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Christ Jesus is the only true Healer.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 22 December 2020 Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.