DCLM Daily Manna 9th August 2022 Devotional for Tuesday
TOPIC: Reward of Home Training
TEXT: Genesis 39:1-15
1. And Joseph was brought down to Egypt; and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him of the hands of the Ishmeelites, which had brought him down thither.
2. And the LORD was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian.
3. And his master saw that the LORD was with him, and that the LORD made all that he did to prosper in his hand.
4. And Joseph found grace in his sight, and he served him; and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he had he put into his hand.
5. And it came to pass from the time that he had made him overseer in his house, and over all that he had, that the LORD blessed the Egyptian’s house for Joseph’s sake; and the blessing of the LORD was upon all that he had in the house, and in the field.
6. And he left all that he had in Joseph’s hand; and he knew not ought he had, save the bread which he did eat. And Joseph was a goodly person, and well favoured.
7. And it came to pass after these things, that his master’s wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me.
8. But he refused, and said unto his master’s wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand;
9. There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife; how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?
10. And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, or to be with her.
11. And it came to pass about this time, that Joseph went into the house to do his business; and there was none of the men of the house there within.
12. And she caught him by his garment, saying, Lie with me; and he left his garment in her hand, and fled, and got him out.
13. And it came to pass, when she saw that he had left his garment in her hand, and was fled forth,
14. That she called unto the men of her house, and spake unto them, saying, See, he hath brought in an Hebrew unto us to mock us; he came in unto me to lie with me, and I cried with a loud voice;
15. And it came to pass, when he heard that I lifted up my voice and cried, that he left his garment with me, and fled, and got him out
“There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” – (Genesis 39:9).
DCLM Daily Manna 9 August 2022 Devotional MESSAGE
An African adage says the fury of the flood never seeks to spare any building. It is the owner of the structure who must erect a strong bulwark to resist the raging deluge. Similarly, the devil and his agents in the world are never discouraged from practising their tempting wiles on the Christian, with the goal of bringing them down. It is the believer who must take maximum advantage of God’s grace in him not to cave in.
The woman who invited Joseph to commit sexual immorality with her thought she would succeed in getting him. This is the mindset of her present-day counterpart. But the genuine Christian must not allow himself to be ensnared.
DCLM Daily Manna 9 August 2022 Devotional
And the only way not to fall is to remain firm and profess uncompromising loyalty to God as Joseph did. You must have a strong spiritual defence against the tide of temptation. You must not negotiate on terms or oath of secrecy with sinful partners if they threaten blackmail.
Joseph’s parents were not at the scene of the attempted seduction in Egypt to serve as counsellors or a check to prevent him from sinning. But, having sat for years at the feet of Jacob, his God-fearing father, learning the ways of God, Joseph was adequately kitted to resist the moves of his master’s wife, ignoring the enormous risks to his life.
This underscores the eternally weighty admonition of the word of God: “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it” (Proverbs 22:6). The training Joseph took from his parents fortified him against acting contrary to God. Transient treasures of transgression must not entice us to sin against God.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Honour God with holiness and expect rewards now and hereafter.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Job 1 – 4
DCLM Daily Manna 9 August 2022 Devotional | Deeper Life Devotional Guide was written by Pastor W. F. Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria. DCLM Daily Manna 9 August 2022 Devotional